Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wireless keyboard/mouse problem with iMac during start-up

I have a iMac 21.5 inch (late November 2010, 10.6.8 with latest update). I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse at same time.When I started up with Shift or Option key down, the computer starts up from the internal drive. No SafeBoot or startup options. When I attached a USB keyboard and mouse and started up with the Option key down, I was able to choose between the internal drive and backups on external drive. The wireless mouse was inactive at this time. When I selected a drive with the USB mouse, it asked me for a password. From that point forward, everything worked normally. The wireless mouse works to move the curser to the text box and the wireless keyboard works to enter the password. I replaced batteries in keyboard and mouse, installed 10.7 Lion, reset PRAM using USB keyboard - Still same issue. The green light on keyboard comes on momentarily during startup, so the iMac must be communicating with the keyboard; after that the light goes off and can be turned back on for a few seconds by pressing switch on right side of keyboard. By doing this repeatedly during startup as soon as the light went off, I got the startup options once. I checked System Preferences>Bluetooth>Advanced. The first 3 checkboxes are checked. The 1st checkbox is "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no keyboard is detected". I never understood this, I assume it indicates that the keyboard is detected. The iMac can be awakened from sleep with keyboard and mouse. Any clues?

No comments:

Post a Comment