Monday, July 25, 2011

Detecting Exchange server crashes Mail, iCal and Address book

I have had the same trio crash hard in Snow Leopard, although all three exhibit slightly different behaviour.

Address Book shows up with no records although I have about 3000 in my database. I let this chug overnight and the records were there. But when I restarted, the records were gone again and I was faced with a blank Address Book again.

iCal opens as a blank calendar and the CRASHES hard immediately.

Mail opens and imports my mail. It then shows me my Mail Browser window with all my addresses but the spinning beach ball never stops.

This is all after installing 10.6 on top of a system with 10.5.8
System: 8 core 3 ghz Mac Pro with 10 gb of RAM
Not using Exchange but am using Mobile Me and Sync Services

After the first time I installed and this happened, I reverted to 10.5.8 via Time Machine and checked to make sure my Address Book, Mail and iCal were cool. They were. As a precaution, I exported archives of iCal and Address Book.

Then I rebuilt permissions and reinstalled 10.6 again. This time checking Rosetta on the install.

Same behaviour. Next stop a call to Apple. That all three of their core apps are hosed is perplexing. Everything else seems to work fine.

I am NOT impressed...

No comments:

Post a Comment