Monday, July 25, 2011

Using Apple Mail as Data Synchronizer client

I thought I had this working at one time, and would like to get it working again (since the GW Mac client crashes randomly ever since patching to 10.6.8, and in 10.7; https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=703254).

On my iPhone, I set up a mail account as Exchange, and it has these configurable options:

  • Email;
  • Server;
  • Domain,
  • Username;
  • Password;
  • Description;
  • Use SSL [off/on]


On my Mac, Apple Mail also has the following initial configurable options for an Exchange account:
  • Description;
  • Incoming Mail Server;
  • Username;
  • Password;
  • Also set up: [Contacts, Calendars] (checked for yes)

But in Apple Mail, when I enter the DNS (or IP) of the DS server (as 'Incoming Mail Server') it gives me the following error: "The Exchange server "datasync.server.com" is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages."

If I select "Continue", then I am asked if I want to use SSL, it doesn't matter if SSL is off or on. I get the error: "There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Novell GW” or try again. The server returned the error: The connection to host data sync.server.com on port 443 failed." (or port 80 if SSL is off).

After the initial configuration, when I go to the settings there are more configurable options:
  • External mail server (blank by default);
  • Internal Server Path (default value: 'EWS/Exchange.asmx');
  • Internal Port (default value: 80/443-depending wether SSL is off or on);
  • External Server Path (default value: 'EWS/Exchange.asmx');
  • External Port (default value: 80/443-depending wether SSL is off or on),

Anyone have any advice or tips on setting this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment